UNCLASSIFIED // FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
[Update 02] Tropical Storm Beta - Gulf of Mexico | September 21, 2020 | INC10307117
Critical Infrastructure Impacted: Energy (Oil), Transportation Systems (Maritime Transportation Systems)
Summary: As of 0200 ET, Tropical Storm Beta is approximately 110 miles east-southeast of Port O’Connor, TX moving west-northwest at six mph with maximum sustained winds near 60 mph. The center of Beta is forecast to approach the central coast of Texas and move inland by Monday night then remain close to the coast of southeastern Texas on 22 Sep
- Little change in strength is expected before Beta reaches the Texas coast and weakening is anticipated once inland
- Beta is expected to produce rainfall amounts of six to 12 inches with isolated totals of 15 inches across coastal Texas to southern Louisiana
- Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) sites are at Hurricane Alert Level 1; West Hackberry remains “Not Drawdown Ready” due to impacts from Hurricane Laura
CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE IMPACTS:
The West Hackberry, Big Hill, and Bryan Mound Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) sites are at Hurricane Alert Level 1 with no changes to drawdown capability for Big Hill and Bryan Mound. West Hackberry remains “Not Drawdown Ready” due to impacts from Hurricane Laura. Bayou Choctaw SPR remains at normal operations.
In the Houston area, Port Condition ZULU is set for all ports/waterways. The Houston Ship Channel is closed, and all pilot operations are suspended. The Galveston/Texas City Channel is closed.
WATCHES AND WARNINGS
A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued for Port Aransas, Texas to Morgan City, Louisiana.
A Storm Surge Warning has been issued for Port Aransas, Texas to Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana, including Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, Galveston Bay, Sabine Lake, and Lake Calcasieu.
A Tropical Storm Watch has been issued for Baffin Bay to Port Aransas, Texas.
ACTIVATIONS AND DECLARATIONS:
Voluntary evacuations for parts of Galveston, Brazoria, Chambers, Matagorda and Harris counties are in effect.
- Sent RFI for Talking Points, Special Instructions, Infrastructure of Concern, and enhanced reporting posture
- Maintaining an Executive Summary SharePoint page and HSIN-CI incident tab
- Continuing to monitor TS Beta progression and potential impacts to critical infrastructure
[ National Hurricane Center - Tropical Storm Beta ]